On the topic of wedgies

I was sitting at my cube yesterday when I overheard some people talking about wedgies. Not potato wedges, but wedgies, you know, like when someone grabs the back of your underwear and pulls really hard, jamming your underwear in your ass-crack and making your underwear resemble a thong. I had to stifle laughter as several people remarked on how they had no idea what a wedgie was. The initiator of the conversation, a rather open-minded woman, seemed similarly affected, but maintained her composure and didn’t volunteer a definition.

So I sent her an email today: “I can’t believe people don’t know what a wedgie is.”
Her reply: “yeah i’m having a hard time grasping that fact as well…”

Perhaps it’s a Gen-X thing. Maybe we were the only ones who were fortunate enough to fall victim to a wedgie.

Posted: March 11th, 2005
Categories: culture, humor
Tags: , ,
Comments: 4 Comments.
Comment from Bill - 12 Mar ’05 at 9:20 am

I only heard the term wedgie in Wisconsin. In Minnesota, we called it a snuggie. I have heard in Illinois they call them grungies, but it may be that ALL their underwear is in that category down there, whether it is in or out of the asscrack.

Comment from Tiffany - 15 Mar ’05 at 11:05 am

Wedgie is used on the East coast as well–the term and the action!!!!

Comment from Devon - 23 Aug ’05 at 6:53 pm

I learned what a wedgie first hand while at football camp when I was a freshmen in high school. I had transfered from the public school to an all boys prep school. Need less to say, I really didn’t fit in. I got a wedgie the first day of camp and was hung on the fence post around the practive field. Designer underwear didnpt go over well with a bunch of military school guys! I think I lost about five pairs of underwear that week. The only good part was being on the giving end of the wedgie the next few years. It was all good fun, but I never knew that underwear could stretch to those proportions.

Comment from Roman Edirisinghe - 1 Mar ’07 at 9:28 am

@Bill: I think wedgies were also called grundies, at least when I lived in Indianapolis.