I found out about Memory Maps on Lifehacker, and decided it was worth a try. After all, I’ve had an interesting childhood, moving around to different countries, and so forth.
News for September 2006
Cold Makes Me Crabby
I’ve been noticing a gradual souring of my demeanor. I’m more impatient, snippy, and bogged down with trivialities than I am when the weather is warm.
On Racism, Part One
My mother told me that when I was born, the nurse brought me back into the room (this was Communist-era Russia, where they whisked off the baby immediately after delivery for some ridiculous reason) and said, “Now you know why they call them ‘black ass’,” before handing me to my mom. Evidently the nurse never saw the other side of me, because she would have likely fainted, as my cock is the blackest part of me (other than my dark, twisted personality, or course).
My mom never told me until relatively recently and it made me realize that I was the recipient of racism at birth.
It’s like a scar, you know? A fucking stain on the face of humanity.
Chris Vos’ Gear Stolen!
Milwaukee musician Chris Vos, of Freshwater Collins and Erotic Adventures of the Static Chicken fame, recently had his equipment stolen. It’s like a stab in the heart when something like this happens. Musicians are rarely loaded with indispensable amounts of cash… and some crack head is probably trying to pawn off Chris’ hard-earned gear for another hit.
I’ve included the list of stolen stuff below, in case someone out there knows anything about this:
List of Gear Stolen: September 27, 2006
Any information please contact Chris Vos:
Email: chris [at] freshwatercollins [dot] com
- 1-Black Tokai Hummingbird Electric Guitar, with Bigsby Tremelo System, Black and White striped Humbucking Pickups. Very unique, only guitar that will look like in existence, I had the Bigsby put on it and the zebra striped humbuckers.
- 1-Light Blue American Made, Fender Stratocaster with matching blue headstock… Very unique, with the blue headstock that matches the body color.
- 1-Light Blue Fender Lapsteel Slide Guitar from the 60’s. White Tuning Pegs, Serial number is “PAT Pending” Also, Very unique. White Tuners and Pat Pending are a dead giveaway.
- The Following Pedals were all on two homemade pedal boards. They may either appear together or separate.
- 1-Moog Murf MF105 and Expression Pedal with Tap Tempo Pedal attachment
- 1-Moog 12 Stage Phaser MF 103, and Expression Pedal
- 1-Electro Harmonix Deluxe Memory Man
- 1-Electro Harmonix Octave Multiplexer
- 1-Electro Harmonix Small Stone Phaser
- 2- Green RPG Overdrives, same color green as an old Tube Screamer
- 1- Boss DS 1 Distortion, Orange
- 1- Boss Chromatic Tuner Pedal, White
- 2- Morley A/B passive foot changer pedals
Last night, we went to see Sufjan Stevens at the Pabst Theater in Milwaukee. Interesting show in a lovely theater. Acoustics and sound reinforcement were excellent. The show itself was quite visual. He had something like 20 musicians on stage, all dressed up in butterfly costumes with wings. I’m still trying to figure out how to feel about the show. Part of my feelings have to do less with the music and more with my fellow audience.
I was irked by the lack of courtesy of the patrons. Many flash bulbs were going off in my vicinity, and it was not even remotely pleasant in a dark theater. As if taking a flash picture from the back of the theater has any hopes of illuminating the distant performers! Some people turned off their flash bulbs but kept their camera LCD screens on, which was even more distracting. The idiot sitting next to me was drinking bad wine (the mere smell was putting me to sleep), and was text messaging someone on his giant cellphone (equipped with full keyboard and sizable LCD). Why the fuck would you go to a concert if you’re going to spend even part of the time text messaging? At one point, after several flash bulbs annoyed me to all hell, I leaned over to him and said, “Sorry to bother you, but that’s bothering me.” He apologized and put it away. At least he wasn’t a prick about it. And for the rest of the show, no one took any flash pictures, at least no one around me.
People are so caught up in their fricking gadgets that they have no sense of courtesy. Or maybe people are just stupid assholes.
On a similar note, Wired News has a great article on the drawbacks of cell phone use.
I’ve Been Blogged
I stumbled across several blogs that feature my pictures. I’ve listed them below:
- 8ito ou 8itenta
- Make Mine Mosaic
- Little Gwion
- NYC Exposition (I knew about this one already)
- Freedom Spice in The New Mash-Up World
- Wikipedia(!!!) article on Oradea, Romania | direct link to image
- Mahavamsa : die große Chronik Sri Lankas (do a search for Kataragama or romanedirisinghe)
- Photography [AO]
- A Girl Named Boo
- Benjamin Johnson
- Model Motion | 2
- Serpuhov: Кому дреды?! Почему без дредов!?